My stomach clenched as the psychologist continued, "Oh, and you'll need to prepare for your husband cussing more. That just happens with stroke patients."

What?! After waiting for over a month for Mike to utter words--now I have to worry about censoring him in front of the children? I have to continue nurturing and responding to a man whose words may tear down rather than communicate? After all this work, why would this be what comes out?

Yet, I have to admit how often those same words come to my mind. When the loaded laundry basket crashes from the shelf onto my head, when the milk jug splatters to the floor, when the grocery line stalls. What if the part of my brain that stops me from uttering these out loud quit working and people really knew what was going through my head? "God, I don't want a condition that makes me less like You?"

As clear as a bell I heard God's voice saying, "Right now, are you becoming more like Me--or less?"

It hit me. Every situation, even how I respond to Mike's stroke, offers the chance for me to grow more like God or less like God. I'm so tempted to think about what's happening to me, how I feel, and how to get others to give me what I want. Jesus focused on what was happening to others, how they felt, and how He could get them what they need.

Do I see this situation as a chance to grow more like Jesus? Do I focus on the other people at rehab? Do I ensure I listen to all my children are going through? Do I continue to lovingly relate to Mike even though he can't relate back--just as Jesus continues to lovingly relate to me even when I can't relate back?

Every situation--every fight with our spouse, every disobedience by our children, every challenge in our finances offers the opportunity for us to say, "How can I walk through this growing more like Jesus?"

I'm learning it's not about God sending the right situations for me to grow--it's about using each situation rightly. Lord, let me use this to grow to be like You.


Photobucket
Please join us to encourage each other with your insights, remembering to keep comments uplifting and considerate of all. Click on 'comments' below to discuss this month's topic.
This month’s topic: What challenges are you facing that work to help you grow to be like Christ? How can you minister to your family in this new way?



1 comments:

Wise insights, Tess, from a wise God who whispers to your soul while you listen. As I read your thoughts today, I was taken aback by the thought you posted about having my filter taken away. The filter I use daily to make myself "appear" more godly. How I must grieve God at times in my thoughts that are never spoken. Thank you for the food for thought today.

And dear sister, I will continue to pray grace over you as you learn to walk this part of life's journey with Mike together.

Kristin Rodriguez

Anonymous said...
July 26, 2011 at 10:18 AM  

Post a Comment